Updated: Dec 2, 2021
About the Sector
• India is one of the largest producers and exporters of the metal and mining industry.
• The mining sector is one of the most important sectors, providing raw materials to
many important industries.
• Large reserves for Mineral salts, Iron ore, Manganese ore, Rare Earth, Bauxite,
Baryte, Chromium, are found in India.
• When talking about coal, India stands as its 2nd largest producer and 5th largest in
• The aim of the ministry of steel is to reach 300 million Ton Production by 2030-31
• The sector is divided into – Coal, Iron & Steel, Base Metals, Aluminum, Bauxite,
Precious metals, and minerals.
• Being one of the core sectors of India, Mining sector is one of the main provider of
raw material for many important industries.
• It is a net exporter of finished steel and potentially can reach the top exporter in
certain steel grades.
• Finished steel production in India was 76.04 million Tonne from April 20 to Jan 21.
The exports between April 20 and Feb 21 stood at 9.4 Million Tonne.
• Mining Industry consists of many small operational mines in the country.
• India is home of huge resources having many metallic and non-metallic minerals.
India is home to 1,531 operating mines and produces 95 minerals, which includes 4
fuels, 10 metallic, 23 non-metallic, 3 atomic, and 55 minor minerals (including
building and other materials).
• A total of 1405 number of mines in 2018-19 reported mineral production (excluding
atomic, fuel, and minor minerals) in India stood.
• Obvious Geological Potential (OGP) area consists of an area of 571,000 sq. km, out
of a total of 3.1 million sq. km which is based on the geological mapping of the
country, where the geological potential for the occurrence of mineral deposits is
• India consisted an estimated reserves for coal of 344.02 billion tonnes in year 2020,
an addition of 17.53 bn tonnes over 2019 in the corresponding period.
• Total export of finished steel in 2020-21 was 10.78 million tonnes. India has been a
net exporter of finished Steel since April- June 2021 with 3.56 million tonnes.
By Growthway's Intern
Disclaimer: Growthway owns an exclusive rights to all the research displayed on it's website